Easy option – running it as a virtual machine using the turnkey linux appliance at http://www.turnkeylinux.org/gallery
Doing it manually
- Install apache,php and mysql – see previous post
- Download Gallery at http://galleryproject.org/
- Enable Server_Add option (to use pictures on an existing local drive rather than having to re-upload through the web interface)
- Enable ffmpeg to be able to see movies through interface at http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:Modules:ffmpeg
- Enable Pear theme from http://codex.galleryproject.org/Gallery3:Themes:pear4gallery3, looks really nice!